Blogger and Google cookies

Attention: This site uses cookies and may collect data!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Iceland - Sketch from a Glacier

Sketch - Mýdras-Jökull Glacier,
incised Plexiglass and painted panel, 10 x 12 x ½ in.
(Photo was taken at an oblique angle to avoid reflections on the Plexiglass)

Scratch marks in the Plexi surface catch the light and refract with slightly varying highlights, animating the image more than if I produced a flat print or painting.  I want to show the dead blackness of the piles of ash left behind as the glacier melts underneath them, leaving ebony cones shaped like miniature volcanoes.  The summer glacier is porous and uneven on its surface, with flecks of cinders everywhere.  The blue-green tint to the ice below is barely visible until you peer into a water-filled hole or tunnel.  Think of this as wall-sized when I enlarge it!

Today I took the bus to Bauhaus, a huge hardware and building center where I went looking for a way to plug in my Dremel tool. Instead I bought some wrought iron boring tools that are actually very good for incising Plexiglass, even if they won't help me make holes in it.  I also bought some 'crazy glue' and reversed my spacing system between the plastic and wood panel. It seems to work on the small size.  The screws come through to the front of the panel, then the clear bead spacers and the Plexi panel are held on with 'crazy glue.' So far so good!




No comments:

Post a Comment