Blogger and Google cookies

Attention: This site uses cookies and may collect data!

Friday, July 10, 2015

Iceland - Flora by the Trails

Seaside Bluebells, also found in Nunavut, Canada

Scabosia perhaps?
Garden Angelica, an important traditional Icelandic herb
Sea Campion
Lichens and Wild Thyme ?
Today I walked farther down the trail that follows the seashore near Korpúlsstađir, photographing more of the tiny flowers and delicate-looking plants that are growing as they please, both native and invasive varieties.  The texture and colour combinations are fascinating.  I can foresee several large-format drawings based on these small investigations.  I will have excellent resource material to use all through next winter.

I've been inspired by the work of Icelandic artist Eggert Pétursson.  Even before this trip to Iceland, I noticed his large paintings of Icelandic flora in several art journals.  I felt fortunate to buy a 2012-13 book of over 70 of his paintings at the Reykjavik Art Museum.  Visit Pétursson's web site with the link below to see some of his work.

Eggert Petursson Web Site

I'm not certain if I have identified the plants correctly. Some of the plants I have seen are common to the arctic in many countries.  Others are imports and invasive species.  A variety of lupin, for example, was introduced on purpose, but has now become problematic.  I've also noticed a variety of yarrow that looks familiar to me from eastern Canada.  I'm allergic to it, so I'm not a fan!

I am working on a panel and drawing in my sketchbook. Perhaps tomorrow I will have photos of some of this preliminary work to post.



No comments:

Post a Comment