Blogger and Google cookies

Attention: This site uses cookies and may collect data!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Arts of Korea

Jar, Lee In Chin (b.1957) 1993
Bizen-inspired unglazed stoneware
The Arts of Korea are displayed in a new gallery at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. I was able to view several of the pieces during one of my visits to the museum. This jar particularly resonated with me. The clay itself is colored during the firing process without the addition of glazes or enamels. Lee In Chin has created a masterpiece where skill and chance combine. This is one of the contemporary ceramic pieces on display in this gallery.

Ceramics gave me my first introduction to Asian culture and aesthetics. I worked with clay while in high school, but I soon became very sensitized to dust and I had to give it up. However, the appeal of the simplicity and the honesty of the materials has stayed with me.  I plan to researchWabi-sabi and use some of its principles in creating my studio work.

Another Asian artisitic form which has interested me for a long time is the scroll painting.


This photo inadequately shows the basic structure of the scroll. The center panel seems to be glued to a fabric backing of patterned squares in subtle colors. I am intrigued with the idea of displaying paintings on canvas or paper in a similar way. I will have to try it out on a small scale! While visiting China several years ago, I bought a small tourist scroll from a kiosk in a market with the Chinese character for luck (or so I was told!!). It would be so convenient to roll up a painting around its dowel rods for transport and not have to deal with stretchers and frames!

Thursday I plan a trip to my alma mater to the library to borrow a stack of books, including haiku poetry and a few books on Asian aesthetics which I didn't have time to peruse before Christmas.

I have been painting a few quick watercolor abstractions. I should have some photos to post tomorrow or Thursday. My roll of 50" Fabriano paper is beckoning! I am going to stretch a piece about 36" x 48" on plywood and see what happens. The freshness of the paper is so clean. Even gesso on canvas doesn't seem to have the same quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment