Blogger and Google cookies

Attention: This site uses cookies and may collect data!

Monday, October 8, 2012

Symposium d' Art Nature 2012

Michael Belmore with "Residual."

"Residual" seems to glow and flicker in between the stones.

"Pawakan" by Ned Bear.
Paul Griffin discussing "Sarcophagus for an Elm."
The third Symposium d'Art Nature took place in Moncton September 28 - October 7, 2012 at the Parc écologique du Millénaire, adjacent to the Université de Moncton campus. Although I was not able to take in all of the lectures and activities offered during the week, I attended the artist talk given by Rose-Marie Goulet who works in conjunction with architects in designing large public art works. Her most well-known piece is "Nef pour quatorze reines," the memorial to the fourteen women killed by an armed man in their classroom at the École polytechnique in Montréal, December sixth 1989. Another notable work was installed in the Palais Montcalm and Salle Raoul-Jobin, featuring lettering and musical scores. It was interesting to hear the process of planning at the initial stages, when the architects are developing plans for the project. This way, the cost of materials, production and installation are included in the overall budget for construction. It seems that many of Ms. Goulet's projects are funded through the 1% regulation for public buildings in Québec.

Following the lecture, I visited the nine sites outdoors where nature art projects were underway. On Saturday, I returned to see them finished. I was very impressed with the subtlety of Michael Belmore's "Residual." On an overcast day, the effect is more pronounced, as if the stones are glowing with magma inside. Michael creates this with copper leaf, a material he has used on at least 19 other previous projects.

Ned Bear has carved directly into the living tree, which has become somewhat controversial. he has been making these carvings for some time in different locations, presumably the trees are not harmed as long as he doesn't carve too deeply. I am interested to return after the winter to see the effect of weathering on the exposed wood.

Paul Griffin's elm tree trunk is encased in roofing nails, totally changing its appearance. The plan was to set it up vertically once the nails are complete. I fund it more interesting when part of the trunk was exposed without nails. The bark of the tree had been removed prior to hammering in nails. Paul described how his studio had burned down and the wood he salvaged actually led to a new body of work.

Gilbert LeBlanc created a labyrinth based on the maze in Chartres Cathedral, using straw found on site and clipped grass. The idea is to follow the maze while contemplating or meditating. It is fascinating because you cannot see where each path will lead you, although there is a concentric symmetry to teh whole.

The permanent installation by Bob Verschueren is also very captivating. The official unveiling of "Renaître" was taking place with a crowd, so I plan to return to take photos. White stone os various dimensions has been carefully arranged in a low hollow with a pathway through it. When you descend the path, you are enclosed in this mini-environment.

Other installations from previous years encourage contemplation and meditation within the park.

EXPERIMENTING with my NEW CAMERA 
I have also been trying out my new camera at the nature park and in my back yard. I must read the detailed manual before going out again with it, but I am pleased with the results so far! In my studio work I am finding that I am more successful if I use my sketches and drawings as sources. However, I enjoy photography, and sometimes it serves to bring ideas to the fore which I later pursue in drawings and sketches.

Wood has been rotting away in my back yard, becoming an art material!

Peeling paint creates interesting shadows.
Next summer we will have to have this part of the exterior basement wall re-painted!



I've always been fascinated with horse chestnuts and their strange casings.
This one looks like an alien being springing from its interstellar pod.


Butternut trees are a protected species in New Brunswick, Canada.
If only I'd known when I pulled a few out of our lawn!
The neighbourhood squirrel has been busy planting nuts.

Ivy again and peeling paint.

Frostbite?




No comments:

Post a Comment